Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cell phones

It's hard to say that I remember a time before cell phones. My mom got her first cell phone when I was in high school (I think). It was this massive monstrosity with a wood grain cover. She thought it was the coolest thing ever...and I thought it was ugly. Wait...that was her second one. Her first was a grey Motorola...a la Zac Morris...but it flipped. Still ugly. Still massive. I remember my first cell phone. It was a Nokia...and you could buy different cases for it. LoL. I thought it was awesome.

I can't believe that people cant go ANYWHERE without their phones. They are never completely out of sight. Text messages...phone calls... Blah blah blah.

Here's where it becomes annoying. When I try to do MY job, and you are on your phone...it makes my job nearly impossible to complete...or do. Yes, I understand that you are busy. I understand that the cat just coughed up a HUGE fur ball. And yes, I understand that little Sally has a cold (and it touching everything with her grubby, germy hands...risking my health in the process)...and she needs a doctor's appointment.

If you want impeccable customer service...get off your phone. I can help you much better, and much more effectively if you aren't yapping to your over-bearing mother on the phone. Here is what you say, "Mom, I'm sorry. Let me call you back in 5 minutes. I'm in the middle of the grocery store and I cant find the chutney. Love you"---click. Really, it's easy.

I'm not saying that everyone on their phones are jerks. Some say, "I am SO sorry. Just one second." I respond well to that. At least the acknowledge me. At least they know I have a job that I'm trying to do. It's the ones that say, "What's my total" when I haven't said a word to them. They never snap out of it. They don't even realize that I've ever said a word to them.

I hate repeating myself in my regular life...and I hate it even more at work. It's the same thing...over and over and over. "Sign the screen...this pen...sorry"...it goes on. I say a lot of the same things over and over. Its mundane...but it's a job. One that I am very grateful to have.

Please. Think of the ones that work there. IF you must be on the phone, be polite about it. Smile, say you are sorry...and say thank you when you are done. Its simple. Really.

Happy shopping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment